Friday, January 21, 2011

Celebrate Robert Burns- Eat Haggis



The Burns schedule is very busy this year I have eighteen Haggis to slay. I start in Fresno this week end for the Scottish Society of Central California Burns Night, when I shall be talking about Auld Lang Syne, and stabbing the Haggis.






Midweek, and on the birthday of Burns itself, January 25th and 26th, the Tam O' Shanter Restaurant has me slaying the haggis at each sitting for two days. That is twelve haggis unzipped before your eyes. Ivan the Chef will be with us to carry in his fare.







Friday 28th is the night when the Faculty Club of CalTech hold their Burns Night at the Athenaeum. Their Chef Kevin, does a wonderful haggis for which I shall enjoy performing the traditional ode. Jan Tappan's Scottish Fiddlers will be performing as usual. My address will include the "Cottars' Saturday Night", one of Burn's greatest works.

























Finally a new addition to the rounds, Beckham's Grill in Pasadena is hosting their Burns Night with Cindy McKintosh the piper. Their haggis is going to be from the kitchen of Alex McGilivray, the renowned piper, who played for me when I sang at Raymond Burr's funeral some years back.

No comments: