Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Writer's Block - What's Stopping You From Writing


Away From The Page
For Christopher Covell who hintingly suggested I might be getting further along with my writing.
Three of my four primary distractions are seated above - my children


You might think that there is plenty of time
To trot out another chapter, and get that great work,
That opus magnum completed
And be off to the next inspirational flowering
That will dazzle your fans and bring elusive fame to your door.

Not so!
For the washing up
And children’s homework are beckoning.
That broken toy, or the roses that need feeding,
The solution to a geometrical conundrum,

Or the value of X
Are all thrusting themselves forward
Demanding the last squirts of wakeful oxygenated blood
To be responsibly applied
To more pressing tasks.

Not more important,
But ahead in the line,
The litany of honey do’s
And unending parental duties
That keep me away from the page.


Neil Stewart McLeod 9/3/2008

1 comment:

ryanblanck said...

Amen. I can fully relate to the reasons you mention - as well as about a hundred more - that prevent me from writing. Thank you for putting so eloquently the feelings I feel so often.